Cazals - What of Our Future








Imagine if the Stokes were fronted by a drunk Billy Joel and they added some keyboards and a drum machine for good measure. If you can picture that, then you know what to expect from the Cazal's (named after chunky hip-hop glasses) new record 'What About Our Future'. In the past I have been a big fan of almost anything that has come out on the French label Kitsune. I am not saying that I don't like the label anymore but with the release of 'What About Our Future', they have stopped pushing boundaries and gone with something that sounds like everything else out at the moment. I liked the album, I really did, but there is nothing...I repeat, nothing new here.

The album opens with 'New Boy In Town', a catchy little number that spiked my interest. Next up is a Spandau Ballet cover, 'To Cut A Long Story Short', which isn't too bad (it actually is growing on me). Songs like 'Big Mistake', 'We're Just The Same' and 'Both Sides' do stand out because they sound like the band is trying to do something a little original. The album really goes south fast and ends up sounding just like Franz Ferdanad or The Strokes or any number of bands out in the last few years.

I really would like to say nicer thing about the band, but these days it takes a bit more than some sythns and a drum machine to get me on board. The album is good fun and may sound fresh to a younger crowd but for those of use who have been around a little while, this is just yet another band who promised (as they have said) "forward thinking guitar music" and end up just delivering catchy pop songs that rehash someone else's sound.


6 out of 10.



Comments

Popular Posts